Blooming-Tunes Annual Song Contest
JUDGE’S RESULTS ARE IN – Winners announced for ‘Blooming-Tunes 2012!’
Talk about a difficult task! Judges had to go through a record number of entries and decide on TEN tunes they felt should be included in the annual Blooming-Tunes Compilation CD – THEN, they had to rank the songs from 1 – 10 and add a reserve list.
This year’s judges included Cyndi Wagner, a true supporter of original music. Cyndi is the person behind Redbud Tree House Concert Series located in Indianapolis IN. She has hosted just about anyone a person could think of, and has an understanding of great music and performances. Peter & Christal Prout /‘Chatham Street’ – is a dynamic and multi award winning husband/wife duo, who won a top spot in last year’s Blooming-Tunes competition, but due to a scheduling conflict, they were unable to perform at the Winner’s Concert. THIS YEAR – they were asked to be our Pro-Writer judging team and will also be featured on the Winner’s Concert at the Buskirk Chumley Theater in Bloomington IN – on October 13, 2012. (More information on the concert at the bottom of the page!) The third judge selected is always a working musician who is local to the Bloomington Indiana area. This year Cathi Norton did the honors for our local working musician judge. Cathi has worked in the music industry, in several capacities for several years and is affiliated with community radio station WFHB, is an author, and an extraordinary Singer/Songwriter in her own right. You can hear her and Chatham Street’s music on this year’s compilation CD as ‘Judge’s Submissions’. All three judges did a stellar job and this year’s compilation CD will be very, very strong. Producer/Promoter Suzette Weakley – served as a tie breaker (and there were several this year). Suzette also gets the honor of ‘fleshing out’ the CD with a few of her own selections and she chooses one song that she feels should be given ‘Promoter’s Choice’ award.
Thank you to all of the truly AMAZING songwriters who shared your music with us this year. You guys didn’t make this year’s choices easy for the judges! I hope to see you ALL at the concert and that you keep on writing your songs.
Without further ado – here is the winning Songs / Songwriters for Blooming-Tunes 2012!
** PROMOTER’S CHOICE – ‘Strings’ – Ryan M. Brewer – Fishers IN
- 1st Place – ‘Steel Heart’ by Jenna Epkey – Indianapolis IN
- 2nd Place - ‘Always on My Mind’ – Neil McTavish/sang by daughter Briagha McTavish, Lafayette IN
- 3rd Place - ‘Grey Sweater’ – Andy Aronis – New York, LA, Bloomington IN
- 4th Place – ‘Forty Years Late’ – Kim Robins – Bloomington IN
- 5th Place - ‘Gee I’m Glad I Worried About That’ – WT Davidson – Nashville TN
- 6th Place – ‘Little Brother’ – Dave Ramont – Chicago IL
- 7th Place – ‘First Born Unicorn’ – instrumental by Steev Wisher – Bloomington IN
- 8th Place - ‘Indiana Man’ – Kim Cole, Toronto CA
- 9th Place – 6 O’Clock – Daryl Robinson – Bedford IN
- 10th Place – ‘Sometimes’ – Scott Freed – Nashville IN
- 11th Place – ‘Alone Tonight’ - Matt Pingel – Bloomington IN
- 11th Place – ‘Walk Away’ – Shelly Miller – Chicago IL
- 12th Place – ‘Talkin’ Singer-Songwriter Blues’ – Chris Wolf, Mooresville IN
- 13th Place – ‘Hit the Ground Runnin’ – David Michael Kirk – Los Angeles, CA
- 14th Place – ‘Too Tall Sue’ - Jonas Friddle and the Majority – Chicago IL
- 15th Place – ‘Hallelujah’ – Bill Headley – Bloomington IN
**Honorable Mention List**
(Songs were cited by judges/promoter as exceptional work)
- Sick – Briagha McTavish
- She – Scott Thompson
- Guardian Angel – David Clemmer
- Wearing Me Out – Brandon Pfeiffer
- Angle Blue – David Michael Kirk
- The Very Last Time – Tim O’Malley
- Polar Ice Cap – J. Merriwother Williams
- Looking Back – Thomas Bishay
- Heaven and Earth – Joe Peters (Joe & Linda)
- Picture of You – Andrew Simmerman
- Life on My Own – Bette Anderson
- Freedom Folk Singer – Daniel Maines Sr.
- 100 Tears – Paul Matthew Lauck
- Love Conquers All - Anthony Mossburg
- Distance - Jennifer Blankenship
- Alice – David Michael Kirk
- Wouldn’t it be Fun? – Andy Aronis
- Louise Thibodeaux– Paul ‘Pablo’ Adams
- Your Town – Kim Cole
- What the River is For – Kim Cole
This year’s Winner’s Concert will be held on October 13, 2012 at the beautiful Buskirk Chumley Theater, located in Bloomington IN - one block east of the Court House downtown on Kirkwood Avenue. Doors open at 7:00 pm and show starts at 7:30 with the top FIVE winners, the Promoter’s Choice and SPECIAL guests – Jenn Christy, Chatham Street and the GoZpel GurlZ. If you are listed as a winner, you will be entitled to 2 free tickets to the concert and two free CD’s. If you are asked to perform, you will receive compensation for your performance on the Winner’s Concert. (Winners must reserve your tickets by emailing Suzette Weakley at firstname.lastname@example.org (RSVP) at least two weeks in advance of the concert. Your tickets will be at the box office awaiting your arrival evening of show and you will sit in the VIP section of the theater. Honorary Mention Songwriters will each get one free ticket – same instructions as above. ‘Blooming-Tunes 2012!’ CD will be available at the concert and then on CD Baby after that. You can also email Suzette to have one mailed to you $10 plus S&H.